N521- Advanced Pharmacology Reproductive System Medications
Module 8 Overview
This week we will focus on the pharmacotherapeutics of reproductive system disorders, including commonly occurring conditions and their commonly prescribed medications.
After completing this module, you will be able to:
- Utilize advanced nursing and pharmacological interventions in reproductive system disorders to resolve complex and biological, psychological, physiological and pathophysiologic conditions. N521- Advanced Pharmacology Reproductive System Medications
- Teach patients, family members, and others from diverse populations regarding safe and effective use of drugs and natural products in reproductive system disorders.
Reading & Resources
Read Chapters 55-58 & 36-37 in Arcangelo, V. P., & Peterson, A. M. (2017). Pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice: A practical approach (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. N521- Advanced Pharmacology Reproductive System Medications
- Discussion: Participate in Discussion 8.
- Assignment: NA
- Test: Complete Progress Test 4. Click on the Progress Test 4 link for more details.
- Evaluations: Complete the Student Course Evaluation.
J. L., a 27-year-old African-American female account executive, presents to the Family Medicine office for her annual checkup with her CNP. She has no significant past medical history. Her medications include calcium carbonate 500 mg orally twice a day and a multivitamin daily. She exercises regularly. Her family history is significant for cardiovascular disease (her father had an MI at age 54 and died of a further MI at age 63). She notes that she has been dating her current partner for approximately 5 months. N521- Advanced Pharmacology Reproductive System Medications She is interested in a reliable form of contraception. After discussing the various contraceptive options, she decides that an oral contraceptive (OC) would best fit her needs.
In this discussion forum:
- Discuss what tests or examinations the CNP would likely perform before prescribing an OC regimen, and why.
- Discuss two different OC regimens that could be chosen for J. L. Discuss their differences and why you chose them.
- Discuss the potential side effects of each OC regimen that need to be relayed to J. L. Discuss especially those effects for which she should seek immediate medical care.
- Discuss health promotion recommendations you would consider for J. L.
- What ethical issues should be considered? N521- Advanced Pharmacology Reproductive System Medications
Remember to respond to at least two of your peers. Please see the Course Syllabus for Discussion Participation Requirements and Grading Criteria N521- Advanced Pharmacology Reproductive System Medications.