HCA 340 – Health Care Management
Discussion Board Assignment #5
Chapter 6 – Medical Education and the Changing Practice of Medicine
Answer the following questions:
- The Flexner Report of 1910 is described by the authors as “an accurate and searing description of abuses in the medical schools.” Describe some of the major shortcomings of medical education cited by the Flexner report and the corrective measures that resulted.
- Academic medical centers were formed by the union of medical schools through affiliations with hospitals that provided clinical experience for medical students. These affiliations were later broadened into academic health centers. Describe the components of the academic health centers and their significance to the evolution of the university-based health professional education complex. HCA 340 – Health Care Management.
- The health care delivery system now with ACA mandates, places increased emphasis on maintaining wellness and on promoting disease avoidance through healthy behaviors and lifestyles. What are some challenges this new orientation poses for our existing system of medical education and training?
- In what ways did physicians’ relationships with hospitals change as a result of health care industry reforms? Discuss the consequences of these changes for physicians’ roles and responsibilities in relationship to hospitals.
- The dispute over exposing the comparative performance of physicians on a wide spectrum of variables has been resolved in favor of the consumers of health care with requirements such as “Physician Compare.” A number of states have passed legislation that gives the public access to physician information, including disciplinary records, malpractice actions, and whether a physician has lost hospital privileges. Are these fair and balanced bases on which consumers should make decisions about their choice of physicians?
- Given the new role of hospitalists in patient care, identify some issues raised by this new brand of physician for the primary physician and patient. HCA 340 – Health Care Management.