Culture, Addiction, and the Experience of Abstinence Essay
Culture, Addiction, and the Experience of Abstinence Question description
For this assignment there are two questions but must be answered separate.
Question 1: For this Discussion, you will compare various aspects of addiction across two racial or ethnic groups. Please go to the Walden Library and locate at least one journal article from the last 5 years for each of the two groups you selected. You will use these articles and your text as supporting resources for this Discussion.
Post a comparison (similarities and differences) of the prevalence, sociocultural factors, and treatment issues associated with addiction within two identified racial or ethnic groups. Include considerations for additional influences such as spirituality and socio-economic status. Use specific examples to illustrate your points.
To access the Walden Library: https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/library
Question 2: Post a summary of your experience with abstinence, including your overall success or failure, and what individual traits (e.g., age, gender, personality) were most influential on your outcomes. Next, identify the external influences on your experience, including family, culture, and other considerations you believe were significant. Culture, Addiction, and the Experience of Abstinence Essay. Lastly, discuss how the insights you gained might add perspective to your clinical skills in working with clients who have addiction diagnoses.
Readings to use to complete the questions
- Van Wormer, K., & Davis, D. R. (2018). Addiction treatment: A strengths perspective (4th ed.). Boston, MA: Cengage.
- Chapter 11, “Ethnicity, Culture, and the Socioeconomic Determinants of Addiction” (pp. 431-471)
- Gubi, P. M., & Marsden-Hughes, H. (2013). Exploring the processes involved in long-term recovery from chronic alcohol addiction within and abstinence-based model: Implications for practice. Counselling & Psychotherapy Research, 13(3), 201–209.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases Culture, Addiction, and the Experience of Abstinence Essay.
- Hendricks, P. S., & Leventhal, A. M. (2013). Abstinence-related expectancies predict smoking withdrawal effects: Implications for possible causal mechanisms. Psychopharmacology, 230(3), 363–373.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
- Lee, H. S. (2015). The ethical dilemma of abstinence-only service delivery in the United States. Journal of Social Work Values & Ethics, 12(1), 61–66.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases. Culture, Addiction, and the Experience of Abstinence Essay.